Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Danny's fourth e-mail

Hey Everyone,
Sorry I didn't get on earlier, but the MTC has received a huge flow of new English elders ever since school got out and now it's pretty tough to get your time in on your email. But I'm here and all is well. I've developed some pictures and will be sending them off tommorrow morning.
Well. . . what are some highlights from my week? Well as usual I have been working night and day to try and learn the language. I finally am starting to feel comfortable reading. . . .well sort of. I can read an average sized verse in 3-4 minutes. A huge improvement from the 45 minutes it took to read verses 16 and 17 of JSH. But the Lord I see now more than ever that all things denote that there is a God and that His blessings and love are manifested in everything the missionaries do. That is our purupose to bring souls to Christ as kindly and boldy as we can. I am absolutely loving it here. One thing that's absolutely incredible that happened was President Monson visited campus and I and a few others got to shake his hand and talk with him for about twenty minutes. Ok, maybe that didn't really happen, but it's a fun thought. But it doesn't matter, I don't have to meet him to know he's a prophet.
Oh, this week in the Teaching Resource Center, we had to speak with a real cambodian for an hour and no english was allowed, it was pretty intense, my companion and I were able to do every task including the lesson and more. I felt so much aide from the Lord.
Well I think i've had every meal here at least twice and it's. . . .pretty good. We'll see what happens 5 weeks from now, wow! It's going by so fast, I've only got five weeks left and then it's off to Cambodia! Oh, one interesting thing I learned about Cambodia, is that the government there has made it illegal to knock on people's doors, don't ask me why, it's just the way it is. So my teacher, Brother Wright, told us that you just. . .walk in or yell until someone comes out of the house. One interesting I learned is that people there are very very very affectionate with each other. Well at least the men are with the men, and the women with the women. PDA is absolutely non-existent. Our teacher said one time in Church he was sitting next to a man who played around with his ear the whole meeting.. . .
I guess my whole idea of personal space and cultural hardwiring is about to change.
As for the rumors that the Cambodian people eat bugs. . . . They do. They eat crickets and spiders and such. They deep fry them. My teacher says they are pretty good, but the spiders are . . . . not very good.
Considering they are tarantulas, harry and legs attached. I don't think i'll bring myself to do that more than once, just for a picture or so. :) That'll be a nice kodak moment. Goodness gracious, every day is so fast paced that I frequently get what happens during the day mixed with different days and times. Every minute of every day is scheduled very very specifically. Oh well I ran into President Acthinson from the Stake presidency. . . that was nice.
Well I love you all and can't wait to hear from you again! The Church is true, the Book of Mormon is true, Joseph Smith was his Prophet, and Christ lives!
Love, Elder Daniel Ormsby

No comments: