Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Danny's fifth e-mail

Hey Everyone,
It's great to here from you as always at the MTC. This week seems like it's only been a few days long. It's flown by. We have been working so hard to learn this language. Our class is steadily progressing in the language and we love it. Let's see . . . what happened this week? Oh, well I learned almost a hundred new words in cambodian over 5 days and it was pretty intense. It's different than English, considering that english has handfuls of verbs and a ton of nouns, where as Cambodian is the exact opposite. So few nouns and a whole lot of verbs. In one of my dictionaries, there are nearly 20 different words for carry. To carry a child on one's hip, shoulder, arms,etc. So it's nuts. Oh and everyone cambodia refers to each other as family. If I were to walk up to an elderly man in cambodia, I would say, Hello Grandpa. After the greeting they will then tell you there name. But it's the same for an elderly woman: Grandma. It's really funny. I also learned of another painful part of the culture that I'm going to have to adjust to. If i walk up to a man sitting in a chair in front of his home, I have to walk up and squat (both feet exactly together and squatting as low as I can with my knees touching together with my arms over my knees) and i'm supposed to just sit there like that until either he gets up or we finish talk/teaching and leave. I can't do that know and I'm in the MTC, so i've been working a lot on my stretching. It's pretty tough, but that's the way it goes. I've probably already told you some of that, but I can't remember what i've said, time and events get so mixed up with all ther other things i've done here. Well, I officially have only 4 weeks left in the MTC. I only get to send 3 more emails from here, and then it's off to Cambodia. I can hardly wait, but I do love it here. The only depressing thing is when the english Elders come and go in 3 weeks. And as of now, i've seen 10 English groups come in and leave our Zone, it's funny because most complain about how long they have to be here and such. It's really funny But Anyways, I can tell you only this: I love it here, the Church is True, Christ lives, President Monson is His Prophet, Joseph Smith is the Prophet of the Restoration, and I am about to go to the front lines in the Greatest Work the World has ever known. I love you all and hope to hear from you soon! God Bless.
Love, Elder Ormsby

No comments: