Thursday, June 26, 2008

6-25-08

Hey Dad, Family, and whoever else reads-
Well here is my first real email from Cambodia. And the first thing I have to say about that is.. . . it's so blasted hot I think I'm gonna die!!! oh my goodness the humidity combined with the unbelievable scorching hot temperatures is deadly. Well my first area is the city of Battambang, it's Cambodia's third largest city, which isn't saying much but yeah. Virtually everyone here drivesa little moto scooter kinda like vespas. They are all over the place here. I wish the missionaries were allowed to have some because we ride our bikes anywhere from 14-20 miles a day and it's pretty crazy. When we are teaching, both of us look like we just walked through a water-fall. The people here are so so so so so poor. It makes you wanna cry when you see the way they live. I've seen some of the most poor circumstances I think you can possibly imagine. It's actually really tough. The Mission is physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually draining. My first day of proselyting was one of the most difficult experiences I've had in my life. We teach a lot of investigators and inactive members of the church. It's pretty difficult in Cambodia with the Buddhist culture, which is basically a belief of complacency and everything is ok if you don't kill, or steal, and etc. People here have very poor education and they need things to be explained very very simply. Teaching lessons is quite the experience too, we usually teach the people in their homes and we sit indian style" around on a surface made of bamboo, my feet are killing me but i'm starting to develop calicuses. I've almost come to accept that I will never feel comfortable as far as "ac" and "Being wet" goes. But all is well in Cambodia, I still don't quite have the language but it's coming along. I have a great companion, who has been a great source of help and strength. His name is Elder Douglas, and he's from Georgia. He actually finishes up his mission in 5 weeks and his parents are coming to pick him up, so I think that it shouldn't be a problem for Mom and Dad to come when I'm finished. Oh one really scary thing that Mom probably won't like is that there are bugs everywhere. Because it's so tropical and humid and wet, bugs flourish here. We have geckos and ants in every building, yes, even our house. The geckos just kinda chill on the walls and every once in a while make a "cricket" like sound. It's actually pretty funny. All the kids and people in Cambodia are so nice. Alot of the time when we are riding around, we'll have a group of people yell, "HELLO" because everyone here wants to learn english and things it's hilarious that the american missionaries can speak Cambodian. Speaking of which, twice a week for an hour, we teach an english class for anyone who would like to come to the church. We are teaching the advanced class today and it's very very fun. During sacrament meeting, wow! it's absolutely crazy! I've meet more crazy people in Cambodia in the short space of a week than I ever have in my entire life. Our Branch President always says crazy statements that don't make sense in either english or cambodian and none one quite understands what he's saying. Oh I have a pretty hilarious story to tell you. On my second day here, my trainer prep'd me for the lessons we'd be teaching. He told me that we were going to teach an investigator by the name of "Phiap" and that was reading his scriptures, coming to church every week, and praying everyday, but that he was having some trouble with alcohol. Well anyways, we biked i think like 5 miles to this guys home and we sit down and we start teaching him. And we start teaching about the word of wisdom and Phiap starts saying that he wants to get baptized but really feels like he can't stop drinking... so we start teaching that if he tries and prays and goes to church he'd be helped, and when we tried to commit him to stop drinking altogether, he said, "okay, I'll stop drinking if you guys join me for one last drink." And then he pulled out three glass beer bottles from his little cooler and he opened them and set them in front of us. And he said again, "have one last drink with me and I'll stop and be baptized." and I'm like I'm sorry we can't it's against the word of wisdom and i've promised to never drink that. And my companion is saying the same thing. And this goes on for another 3 or 4 minutes until my companion says, "okay, you promise that you will never drink again if we do?" and Phiap says, "Yes yes, I promise I promise." And my companion totally starting drinking it! I am like. . . what are you doing!!! and he just looked and me and said, "Hey, it'll help him get baptized, he needs to get baptized, don't you wanna help him?" I'm like, yeah I wanna help him but what the heck are you doing? and I'm thinking in my head, "oh my gosh, I have to call President, my companion's going home, what am I going to do?" And all this while, Phiap is saying to me, why won't you drink with me? If you don't drink with me you don't love me. And i'm like Phiap, I can't drink it. And finally he said, "okay, just take a very very small drink and it'll be enough for me." And I'm like, I can't Phiap! I'm sorry. and He kept on saying stuff like "Oh you don't love me, you don't wanna help me, I want to get baptized but you won't help me, etc." and finally he says, "ok, just take your finger and dip it in the beer and that will be enough" and I'm getting really frustrated here, because his whole family is getting in on this saying that I'm not helping their dad and going off about how much they wish their dad to stop drinking. However, I remained strong and kept my cool. And after like 20 mins of this my companion looks at me and takes a cup and poors out the bottle and it's just sprite! I was sooooooo mad!!!!!! I was about to kill him!!!! Everyone was laughing uproariously, it was quite the scene. Anyways that's my funny story for this email, one which I will not soon forget. So anyways, All is well and sorry the beginning of this email seemed like a downer, but everything is great here, and the Lord truly blesses and watches over his missionaries. I've felt so much comfort and peace as I've been adjusting to this very very very very different environment and way of life. All the missionaries tell me that the first 3 weeks are pretty tough, but that after that it's all great and very fast paced. My companion tells me everyday that he can't believe he's going home. he keeps telling me that he was in my place yesterday. Well I'd like to leave you with this testimony:
God lives, and He loves His children, every single one of them. And He is very mindful of the "war-torn" people of Cambodia, and He is pouring out His spirit among them and is setting at hand the way for peace, joy, and comfort in their lives. I know I am a part of that great reaching out to offer His love. I'm enjoying my time here in Cambodia and can't wait to hear from you again!
Love, Elder Ormsby

2 comments:

Ashley said...

oh my gosh! i didn't know you posted danny's emails on here! i haven't checked his blog since he left! yay! im excited :P keep posting them i loved reading them :)

kyliebrooke|s said...

yay for danny!!!!