Sunday, August 17, 2008

July 30th, 2008

Well, I'm a little sick of writing the same format of emails. So this week I'm going to try to make it more interesting.
This is an offical Interview with Elder Ormsby:
(I) = Interviewer
E.O. = Elder Ormsby
(I) Thanks for taking some of your Prep day to sit and answer some of the questions and concerns of those of us in the outside world.
E.O. Oh, it's really not a problem. I rather enjoy this.
(I) Well, here's the first question:
Q1: So how did this week go for you and your companion?
E.O. Well, we had a pretty interesting week. My companion and I were pretty scared with the big elections and such. We thought war might break out, considering everyone hates the prime minister here, but he won by a 70% margin. Everything has been very peaceful, so that's great news for us. We were stuck inside for 3 days, just to be safe, but everything is great here.
(I) That's great that everything played out peacefully. But the border conflict with thailand could make things interesting. I think things could get scary up there. Does that concern you?
E.O. No, not too much. But to understand what's really going on, you first have to understand some of the history behind what's going on. Cambodian people can't stand that Thai people. The Cambodians and Thais have been fighting over all the ancient ruins in Cambodia for centuries now. The Thai people claim that their ancestors built angkor wat and the other ancient ruins in northern cambodia. The only thing is. . . if the Thais decided to try and take those ruins, the Cambodians would really have no way of stopping them. Thailand is so far more advanced and more populated that cambodia is. So we'll see how it pans out.
Q3: How's the work coming along in Battambang?
E.O. Everything is going great! We are having more and more people coming to church and the people are just wonderful here. We have a group of stalwart branch missionaries who are always helping us out with proselyting. We have a great family preparing for baptism now. I think they are getting baptized in 3 weeks. We'll see though.
Q4: What else has gone on this week?
E.O. Well to be honest, not much else. I mean... I got a package from my Grandma, which was great! Thanks so much! But as far as the rest of my week, it's been slower because of the elections and such.
(I) That's too bad, sources say that you've been sick the last little while, is that true?
E.O. There's truth to it. I'll be fine though.
(I) Are you sure?
E.O. Next question please, I'm running out of time. You know places to go, things to do.
Q5: What would you like to say to your family and friends?
E.O. I'd like to tell them that I love them very much, and I appreciate all they do in supporting me and that I miss them very much. But I'm having a great time here and all is well here. I know this to be the true Gospel of Jesus Christ. I love this work and can't wait to hear from you all!
(I) Wait, wait, one more question please...
E.O. I'm sorry, I'm not taking anymore questions today.

No comments: